History of Le Centre Du Silence
1. Le Centre du Silence was founded in 1971 by Samuel Avital after his U.S. and European tours. Le Centre du Silence celebrates its anniversary every summer.
2. Avital studied in Paris, performed and taught in Europe for eight years before coming to America in 1964. Upon his arrival to America, Samuel taught at various schools and universities. He also performed and traveled in the United States, Canada, South America and Europe.
3. He moved to America after watching President Kennedy's assassination on TV. The sight sparked a curiosity as to how a nation that was so extremely wealthy, could at the same time be so primitive to kill such a great leader. This became a new chapter in the Avital odyssey.
4. Avital founded and directed the Boulder Mime Theatre (1972-1982), which toured locally and nationally with an unusual repertoire depicting the wonder, absurdity, frailty, strength, and comedy of human nature.
5. After the traumas of a critical automobile accident and the Challenger tragedy, Avital created, produced and performed, "In Search of Destiny: Personal and Global." In this performance, he explores the follies of human behavior, the absurdities of human nature, and integrated laughter as the dynamic link to conscious awareness of one's self and one's environment.
This performance was for Avital a pivotal moment for a more passionate and balanced sense of life.
6. He published his first book, "LCDS Workbook" in 1975, and "Mime and Beyond: The Silent Outcry" in 1985. "The Mime Workbook" has been translated into German as "Mimenspiel." In, 1992, The"Conception Mandala: Creative Techniques for Inviting a Child into your Life" which was co-authored with Mark Olsen. In 1992, he produced a video which outlines the principles of BodySpeak™ - The Avital Method, and the life and times of Mr. Avital.
7. In 1997, Samuel was invited to Portugal (via the internet) to do a first ever two week, European International Mime Workshop for actors, artist, students, sculptors, computer animators, and others who came from all over Europe.
8. In July of 1999, he was invited to the Omega Institute in Upstate New York for a one week workshop. He also performed there to a very responsive and enthusiastic crowd of over 200. Some of his students also shared the stage with him by presenting their "living mandalas"- one of the exercises from the workshop.
9. On August 27, 2000, Samuel did a benefit performance before a crowd at the Boulder Jewish Community Center located at 3800 Kalmia Avenue in Boulder.
10. For over 30 years, Samuel has taught BodySpeak™ - The Avital Method to all walks of life. People who are honestly willing and seeking to discover their hidden talents through BodySpeak™'s unique principles. One learns the benefit of applying the concepts to performances, demonstrations, applications and in everyday life.
11. Mr. Avital speaks several languages. He has published numerous articles in both English and French. Many of his articles and interviews about his works appear in various publications. At the moment, he has available a new book entitled, "The BodySpeak™ Manual - Moving Body and Mind."